When you have a strange smell from your drinking water, this is bound to be of concern to you. Fortunately, many times these smells are not necessarily a sign that your water is unfit for drinking. The truth is that most dangerous substances that might find their way into your drinking water don’t have a smell at all.

A smell that reminds you of bleach is a likely sign that there is too much chlorine in your water. While chlorine at the levels you will normally encounter from chlorination isn’t harmful in the short run, you could install an activated charcoal filter to remove it, especially if it is an ongoing problem.

A smell of detergent, on the other hand, could be a serious concern, since this could mean that there is a problem with your septic system. Any contamination from a septic system should be addressed as soon as possible, since it contains both harmful bacteria and dangerous chemicals.